This document describes the usage and configuration of drop down menus via the manipulation of the contents of ‘tables’ via the Maintenance menu in the Carerix Recruitment, Staffing and Corporate editions.
Selection menu’s are used in Carerix applications to give the user a limited set of options to set a certain value. This speeds up the process of data entry and improves the uniformity of the data in the database. This article explains the use and organisation of the menu's. It is important to be careful with the menu's, because changes afterwards have consequences for the already filled out choices in the files. The lists of values that appear in the selection menu's are called selection tables.
The screenshot below shows the Tables page.
The numbers in the image correspond with the following options:
- Choose report; choose a report template
- Select; select all the tables or the tables on this page
- New; create a new table
- Filter on the selected reports and get your result
View and edit a table by clicking on it.
Types of menu's:
A standard (singular) selection list
Hierarchical selection lists The contents of the right list are sub-choices of the list to the left of it. As we will see further, the 2 related tables are called Function0, Function1 (left to right).
Users with the role of administrator can configure the contents of almost all selection menus in Carerix.
In order to show the contents of a certain selection menu:
- Go to: "Maintenance > Tables"
- Choose "Table" from the selection menu, for example Candidate status 
- Click on "Search" 
Description of columns:
- Index; contains a (positive integer, arbitrary) number by which you can dictate the order of the items in the selection menu.
- Item; contains the texts that are shown in the selection menu
- Parent; contains the value of the menu one level ‘up’, in the case of hierarchical menus. This column is empty for basic menus.
- ID; contains the values shown in the menu
- Active; only items with Active = yes are shown in the selection menu. Note: Table-items cannot be deleted, only inactivated.
Changing/Adding a table item
- A table item can be edited by clicking on the button with the three dots.
- A table item can be added with the button “Add table item”.
The image above shows an opened table item.
- Table: The name of the menu of which this item is a part.
- Active: If not checked, this menu-item is not part of the selection menu shown to the user.
- Default: This menu item is set by default when creating a new record (candidates, vacancies, and so on). Only 1 item per list can be the default item.
- Not for web: This menu item is shown in a selection menu inside Carerix, but on the web in case of insertion in the portal.
- Index contains an (arbitrary) number by which the order of this item is denied;
- Item contains the text of the menu-item (i.e. a profession, a status, an Education, a Skill and so on)
- E-mail setting: An E-mail template can be linked.
- Color: Set a color for the item.
- In case of multi-level (hierarchical) menus, a menu appears (in the screen shot above (function 0), in order to set the parent item of the current item.
- Synonyms: The usage applies only if you have the CV-extraction function activated. Here you enter all words that must be recognizable in a resume that then should be mapped to this particular item. Contact email@example.com to activate the CV extraction and get informed about filling in these synonyms.
Changing tables afterwards
Be careful with changing tables afterwards!
Changing the place of an item
In case of hierarchical lists, where you want to place an item in a different group. For example: "Invoicing" is scheduled under "Finance", but you want to change it to being in "Office".
- Open item "Invoicing".
- Function01 is defined as "Finance", change this to "Office".
- Click save.
Attention! The changes are visible after a new login.
The tables are changed, but the files containing the item "Finance" are not. The field which held "Finance" will be empty.
- Search all candidates with item "Finance" and item "Invoicing".
- Open the first candidate, change the item into "office", and if necessary to "Invoicing".
- Choose "Save and next".
- Repeat 2 and 3 for the whole list.
Check also other files which contains the item, such as job orders.
Usage of Selection Menu's in Carerix
Unless indicated the following remarks apply for each selection menu.
- Default: Each list may have a default item set. This means that when the user creates a new record that uses this list, the selection menu is set to the default value. For example, the default status of a Candidate may be "unscreened".
- Relations: The hierarchical tables are related. All other tables are completely in depended of each other.
Maintenance of the tables
In Carerix you can have Additional Attributes. This way you can add "custom fields" as required for your situation.
Removal of table items
Table items cannot be removed. Removing could cause inconsistencies, as the table item may be in use by (many) records.
However, you can make a table item inactive. This has the following consequences:
- As long as a record is not edited, the (now inactive) table items keep to be linked to that record. But...
- As soon as a record is opened for editing, the user needs to set a new value for the relevant selection menu.
The Selection tables
See the page of Selection tables